borehamwood home insurance brokerThere are some types of insurance that are a legal requirement and others that are advisable to take out.

Buildings insurance

Structurally, your home may feel sturdy, solid and secure. That’s the beauty of bricks and mortar – you can shut out the world. Yet even the most robust property is vulnerable to extreme weather, flooding, freak accidents or malicious damage.

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home, plus fixtures and fittings, such as fitted kitchens and bathrooms. When specified incidents occur, your insurer will pay out up to the maximum sum you’re insured for.

If you take out a mortgage, the lender will stipulate that having adequate buildings insurance is a prerequisite.

Contents insurance

If you had to replace every item in your home all at once, what would the cost be to you? Walk around each room, including your loft, garage, kitchen and shed and do a rough calculation. Add in clothes, DVDs, beds, sofas, electrical items, not to mention jewellery, antiques and furniture, and you’re probably talking many thousands of pounds

Contents insurance is a cost efficient way to restore some degree of normality if your house burnt down tomorrow, was broken into and items stolen or vandalised, or flash floods washed away your prized possessions.

Landlords insurance

As a landlord, a simple home insurance policy will not offer the level of cover you need. You’ll need specialist cover to protect both the structure and the rental income you will earn from your investment. Landlords insurance should include the following:

  • Landlords building insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding your property after a loss.
  • Landlords contents insurance is especially important for those letting their property furnished. This will cover the cost of repairing or replacing furniture, TVs, carpets etc.
  • Landlords Liability Insurance will protect you in the event that a tenant or visitor is injured at your property in which you are legally liable for.
  • Loss of Rent (including ground rent) receivable if the property is made uninhabitable.
  • Legal Expenses Cover will cover those expensive legal fees if you need to take a tenant to court.

If you would like further information about the best level of home insurance for your needs or would like to arrange a meeting please contact us or call 020 8953 8687